8/6/12

How to Prolong the Battery Life of your Notebook (Laptop) or Netbook

Hi Guys!

I remembered that in my about me, I stated that my notebook (laptop) is turned on for long periods. Sometimes, it stays on overnight while I'm downloading or just forgot to turn it off (when I fall asleep while watching a movie or anime...). Ever since my wife and I bought this laptop on January 04, 2011 and up until now, I've been letting my notebook (laptop) stay on overnight. Usually the laptop sleeps because I set it to sleep when idle for a certain duration.

For approximately 1 year and 8 months, I'm still not worried about the life of my battery. I can still use my battery for around 1.5-2.25 hours depending on the power saving settings I choose. I can still depend on my battery during blackouts and in times where there are no accessible power outlets.

These are the things that I usually do so that I can prolong my laptop's battery life.
1) When I'm using AC power and the area has a sustained power source (no constant blackouts and the likes), then it would be advisable to remove the battery of your netbook or laptop based on the following conditions:
  • If you are not doing something very important (like writing an urgent report) then you should remove   the battery. Even if you are doing something very important but you are using a cloud server for your files and it has an autosave function, you can also opt to remove the battery.
  • If you are just surfing/streaming/watching movies and the likes, then its advisable to remove the battery.
  • If you're not in a conference or in an important chat session, then you can opt to remove the battery.
2) Check your user's manual or if you are that techy enough check your bios and look for ways to calibrate your battery. My Samsung laptop had a tool in the bios for Smart Battery Calibration. (You can also search the web for ways in calibrating your battery). I usually calibrate mine every 3 months or so.

Note: Different models of notebooks (laptop) and netbooks have different ways of removing your battery so be sure to check the web or the user's manual that came with your computer. My Samsung Notebook has a removable battery and doesn't have screws so it is easier to remove its battery.

Conclusion:
Having your battery removed and replaced from time to time comes with a cost. Well, for my case, I have a son that runs around the house so sometimes he accidentally trips over the adaptor/wire or if he's in the mood to play pranks, he sometimes pulls the plug (T_T) then you know what happens next. Be sure, when you have the battery removed, that it won't be easily unplug by placing it properly and out of peoples' path where they can trip on it.

PS: I don't promote notebook (laptop) or netbook brands, I just used the brand of my laptop as a reference... Hope this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment